Tuesday, February 28, 2017

We're having a PaRtY!!! Sorta....

 If you know me, you know one of my biggest passions is throwing a themed party.  Some of my favorites have been:  The 50's Party, The Tutu and Ties Party, and the Lady Bug Party!  Well, the last time I was on Real Milwaukee, Nicole, one of the anchors asked me about a Moana banner she wanted to order on Etsy.  My heart started racing....the thought of a Moana party made me giddy.  I, naturally, told Nicole that I could make her a banner.  I was so glad she reached out to me!  Well, as you can see, I didn't just make her a banner!  Right away I started looking for ideas and sent her many emails with lots of ideas.  I am pretty sure she thinks I am a little crazy.  Well, I rolled with the idea and came up with some super easy and super cheap craft ideas to help create a Hawaiian themed Moana party.  I will be airing on Real Milwaukee on Wednesday, March 1st at 9:40 with this themed party!  My kids are so confused....we have a party set up in the house, but we aren't really having a party.  Talk about weird!
 I happen to have a graphic designer as one of my best friends.  Her name is Nellie and she is amazing.  I reached out to her and told her all about this Moana themed party idea.  Nellie has her own Etsy shop where she sells printable parties so I knew she could help me rock this idea!  She created a Moana themed printable party to add all the cuteness to the table.  Before I met Nellie, I had NO idea printable parties even existed.  This is the deal.  You buy a printable party and then print it at home and decorate away.  It is the best idea...ever!  It has made my life so much easier!  If you can't print at home, you can take it to a UPS or an Office Max type store and they print it there too!  After you print out the party, you follow the cutting instructions and Boom....you have extreme cuteness.  You can find this Moana themed party HERE in Nellie's etsy store.  She has quite a bit of printable parties or you can request her to help you create a new idea!  Her turn around time is lightning fast!
 I used Nellie's juice box wraps, water bottle wraps, straw flags, cupcake wraps and toppers and the printable banner!  The cost of the party is only $24.00!
 Okay, so on to some other cheap and easy party decorating ideas.  The large flowers are made from coffee filters.  I followed THIS tutorial to make them.  You can get coffee filters for super cheap.  Like $1 from the dollar store.  You add in some acrylic paint (approx $0.50) a bottle and then I attached them with staples to a paper straw.  You can create these coffee filter flowers in any color or in multi-color!  They are a little more time consuming as you have to soak and let the filters dry...however, they are super cheap and way cute!

 The number "5" was probably the easiest thing I created and makes the table complete!  I purchased the #5 from Joann fabric with a coupon.  I paid $3.99 for it.  I used some spray paint that I had as it is a quick way to coat the number.  You could use acrylic paint as well to paint your number or letter.  I used my rose flower tutorial idea from my previous news segment to make matching flowers to add to the #5.  I hot glued the flowers on and there you have it....a table statement piece for about $5!


 Nicole asked me if I had any ideas on making palm trees.  Of course I have never made palm tress before so what do I do when I need to learn how to make something....I head to Pinterest.  I found THIS tutorial on making Palm trees and got to work.  I spent on 2 palm trees: $3 for the pool noodles, $2 on paper lunch bags, $5 on tissue paper, and $3 on the floral wire.  So for about $15 you can create 2 super cute palm trees that are WAY better than those blow up ones you can buy!!  In a nutshell, you glue 1 1/2 pool noodles together.  Cut off the bottoms of paper lunch bags and slide the bag up the pool noodle so it scrunches up.  You glue the floral wire in between the tissue paper and cut slits....and boom...Palm Tress.  I know that was basic so if you want more details I would suggest following the instructions like I did!
 To add a little pop of color, we painted the tops of some pineapples with acrylic paint on both sides of the leaves.  So super cute and so super easy and cheap!

I found a picture of these cupcake liner lights on Pinterest and knew that I HAD to make them!  I purchased both large and small cupcake liners from Joann Fabrics as well.  They were on sale and then I had an additional coupon.  I would say I paid no more than $4 for all the liners.  I used a strand of battery operated lights because #1, that is what I had at home and #2, that is what I thought would be easiest to use for my segment.  If I were going to make these for a party at my house, I would have done a longer strand of regular Christmas lights.

This is the picture idea I found on Pinterest.  When I went to click on the link it didn't work...so I had to just use the pictures.  I followed the pictures and was able to create the same look.  Just keep in mind you have to turn the liners the opposite way for some of the flower look.  


I can't tell you how easy these were to make and they totally complete the look of the table! If you use a regular strand of Christmas lights you could make a set of these for around $8!  

And that, my friends, is one of the easiest parties I have done.  Really, everything was simple to make, cheap and not time consuming!  I did buy the table grass skirt from Hobby Lobby with my 40% off coupon which ended up costing me $6.99!  Once you add in your cute Hawaiian themed treats and snacks, you have yourself one adorable party that will wow any child and the in-laws!  

We have a child with a birthday in April....I better start thinking of a theme!  

Happy birthday to Emma!  I hope your 5th birthday is memorable and your day is so special!  


SaveSave

No comments:

Post a Comment