Sunday, July 17, 2016

A Watermelon Party to Remember!!

Here at the farmstead we pumped out another themed party....Watermelons!  Now before you hate on me please know this.  Abbie turned 11 in April.  It is now mid July.  That is how awesome of a mom I am.  She has been begging and asking and begging and begging since April to give her a party.  It has been years since she has had a themed party.  I kept putting it off...and off some more.  Finally, I caved.  She asked me 2 weeks ago about having her party again and I opened my planner and picked the first day we didn't  have anything planned.  Well, that my friends was today!  So...here is what we could whip up in 2 weeks (while running Camp Create here too!) 

I don't have many original ideas.  However, I can pretty much copy anything I see.  I like to think I am "creative" but really I am just a "creative copier."


I turned our dining room/Fridays at the Farm room into our watermelon dining hall.  I like to cover tables with wrapping paper.  I was wandering through Marshalls and saw this adorable green and hot pink wrapping paper...and boom.  In my cart it went!  It worked out perfectly.

Alright, so maybe I did have these party gifts as an original idea.  I found these cute pink buckets at Micheals on super sale.  I painted a green stripe on the bottom and used a sharpie to add seeds.  I filled them with some cheap Easter grass that I found brand new at the Good Will.  My dear friend, Nellie, from Nellie Design came through again for me and created a printable party for us.  It was so cute as usual!  Thanks Nellie for rocking our party with your printables!  


We covered water bottles with the labels Nellie created.




I saw this watermelon vase idea on Pinterest.  Mine turned out NOTHING like the one I was trying to copy.  I cut off 1/4 of the Watermelon and scooped out the guts.  I tried to pour water right into the watermelon but then it started to leak.  I popped the flowers in a fish bowl and put the fishbowl inside the watermelon.  I found these spring roses on sale at Pick'n Save for $5.  Abbie's favorite color is orange so I loved the fact it had orange flowers on it! 



I will take no credit for this watermelon pig...this was all my husband and my nephew.  We were down to the wire and I was starting to panic that I couldn't get everything done.  In stepped in the 2 men.  They rocked this pig.  Abbie wanted a pig for her birthday, and she got it!  I'll take a watermelon pig over a real pig any day of the week! 


We did some games as well.  It was too windy to put our watermelon bowling outside so we kept it inside.  I wouldn't recommend using a real watermelon.  It cracked almost right away.  Whoops. 

We all dressed in watermelon attire.  The kids work red, green and pink and I found these awesome watermelon socks on amazon for $5 AND free shipping!  Yahoo



My mom made us watermelon cupcakes.  Easy Peasy...and super cute. 

The table pulled together nicely.  I hand made the felt watermelon banners and used Nellie's printable party for the birthday banner.  I pulled out anything white, pink, red or green I could find and used it to add some height to the table. 


I found this gumball machine at a rummage sale years ago for $10.  I love using it for parties with a bowl of pennies next to it.  

Look as those watermelon cookies.  I will not take the credit for those either.  I did make the cookie part with an amazing sugar cookie recipe and then I let my friend decorate them for me.  They were a HIT with all the kids!  As soon as we put them out, they were gone.  


We turned our rice krispy treats into watermelons using some food coloring and chocolate chips.  I found a tutorial on Pinterest for them.  We also made watermelon pretzels.  I am proud to say we did come up with this idea all on our own too!  Ok, maybe I can have an idea of my own every now and then!  


This fruit watermelon pizza was a total pinterest fail.  Trust me.  It looks nothing like the tutorial I followed.  It tasted delicious, but looks like a mess.  I learned what not to do for next time!! 


We have used wine corks before to make pumpkins so we tried to pull off a watermelon made out of wine corks.  Once again, nephew Christian, stepped in and helped me make the wine cork watermelon!  (Thanks Wendy for the wine corks....we still are using them!) 





I love me some spray paint.  I used some spray paint to make a watermelon on the lawn as well as a tic tac toe board.  


We had watermelon bubbles and watermelon colored nail polish to turn your nails into watermelons!  







Overall, I think the party was a success!  I was happy with how everything turned out and that we pulled it off in such a short amount of time.  Party / event planning is definitely a huge passion of mine.  Now if only I could find a job doing it.  Lately many people have encouraged me to do this as a job....hmmmmm.... I think I am too scared that no one would want me.  I'll have to pray about this!  

 Happy 11th birthday, Abbie!  I am sorry you had to wait 3 1/2 months to have your party.

No comments:

Post a Comment