Monday, February 1, 2016

Valentine's Day Kid Crafts Real Milwaukee! Mother/Daughter Valentine craft session....8 crafts in all!







Well, I have said it before and I'll say it again...I love love love decorating for Valentine's Day.  It is my favorite "holiday" to decorate for.  (and, yes, I know it's not a holiday...but anything I get to decorate for is a holiday in my head!) So...when the producer from Real Milwaukee asked me to do a segment on Valentine's Day kid crafts I had a party in my brain!  I hosted a mother/daughter craft session for this segment.  12 sets of moms and daughters came to create 8 Valentine's Day crafts....are you ready?  Here we go!  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paper Heart Wreath

This adorable wreath makes me so happy to look at!  So easy to make and a craft that doesn't use a lot of materials.  This wreath looks so cute on our front door!  

Supplies Needed: 
  1. Scrap book Paper (double sided paper works best)
  2. Glue dots or hot glue or double sided tape (we used glue dots)
  3. Thin ribbon
  4. Paper cutter or ruler and scissors
We made 8 hearts to complete our wreath.  You will need 8 strips of paper cut into 2 inch wide by 11 inch long strips.  Once you have your strips of paper cut you need to fold them in half and crease the fold. (this will be the bottom pointy part of your heart)

Then you will fold the two ends around to create the heart shape.  We used glue dots to make the two ends stick together. 


 Once you have all 8 hearts made, you need to attach them together.  Again, we used glue dots for this.  When we placed the glue dots on the outsides of the hearts to make them stick together we left a space in the middle of the glue dots. (this will help for stringing the ribbon).  Once the hearts were all glued together forming the circle shape we cut a piece of thin ribbon.  We threaded that through the opening between the glue dots and then tied a knot at the end of the ribbon so it wouldn't slide through.  Do the same thing a few hearts over with the other side of the ribbon and you have yourself a paper heart wreath!

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valentine Pom Pom Guys

These Valentine pom pom yarn guys are crazy adorable and lovable.  These are so fun to make and so fun to decorate with!  Get your pom pom makers out and make some of these!  

Supplies Needed: 

  1. Pom pom maker (I use Clover makers found at local craft stores)
  2. Pipe cleaners
  3. Yarn
  4. Googly eyes
  5. Felt for ears and feet
  6. Sharp scissors
  7. Hot glue


 Start by making your pom poms using the clover maker or any other pom pom maker.  We used a medium sized pom pom maker for the perfect size yarn guys.  Remember to pull the yarn from the middle of the skein so it doesn't knot up on you.  My girls are pros at making pom poms!  We used these makers all the time for so many things!
Once your pom poms are made you need to hot glue on the eyes.  Once the eyes are in place you will need to cut out a larger heart for the feet and 2 smaller hearts for the ears.  We hot glued the hearts onto the pipe cleaners for the ears and then hot glued the pipe cleaner onto the pom pom guy.  (we cut the pipe cleaner in half and then bended that half in half again to get the right sized antennas). My girls have been making these daily for friends and teachers!  I mean, really, who wouldn't want to have a few of these cute guys sitting around their house or on their desk?!?!?  
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Felt Heart Garland

I love the way this felt heart garland turned out.  To be honest, I wasn't sure how well the kids would be able to hand sew, and they amazed me with their sewing talents!  

Supplies Needed: 

  1. Felt (I purchased mine precut already from a local store)
  2. Scissors (the sharper the better if you are cutting your own hearts out)
  3. Needle
  4. Thread (I used crochet thread)
  5. Bakers twine
  6. Stuffing

I was lucky to have found precut out hearts which saved me a step.  If you have to cut your own hearts, you need two of the same color.  (one for the front and one for the back).  We just did a basic stitch for our hearts.  In and out in and out.  When the heart was sewn about 3/4 of the way you need to stop and stuff your heart.  Once you have the stuffing in you can finish sewing.  Tie knot at the end and start on your next heart!  


Since we did so many hearts it took a bit to complete it.  You could make a heart garland with more or less depending on your patience! The end product is super cute!  Lastly, take the bakers twine and sew that through the back of the hearts to connect them all.  Leave enough twine to hang your garland and enjoy your masterpiece!  



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valentine Hot Air Balloon Canvas

This canvas art is not only perfect for Valentine's day but for any day!  Change up the colors or the shape to create you very own art canvas!

Supplies Needed: 

  1. Blank Canvas
  2. Paint (I used acrylic paint)
  3. Heart Punch
  4. Paint chip sample cards
  5. Scrapbook paper
  6. Bakers twine
  7. Hot glue



First you will need to paint your canvas.  I put two coats of paint on mine, letting each coat dry before the next.  While your canvas is drying you can start punching out your hearts.  I had stopped at a few different hardware stores and stocked up on some paint chips.  Use your heart punch to punch out the hearts on the paint samples.  
When your canvas is all dry you want to lay out your hearts to get your balloon shape.  We used old scrapbook paper to cut out the basket of the balloon.  
 Lastly, start gluing!  If you are using a hot glue gun, make sure an adult is actually doing the gluing.

We had some girls make their balloons in the shape of a heart which turned out really cute as well.  I simply love looking at this art work and will be keeping it up year 'round for sure!  
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Felt Arrow

What a simple craft that adds so much cuteness!  Hang these from windows or give as gifts to help celebrate Valentine's Day! 

Supplies Needed: 

  1. Stick
  2. Felt
  3. Hot Glue
  4. Scissors
  5. Bakers twine

We didn't use a pattern or anything for this craft.  We used some pink felt to cut out two triangles and hot glued them to the stick at one end.  
On the other end we cut  a rectangle and then did some trimming to get the bottom of the arrow look.  Using your scissors make small cuts in the the bottom part for the frayed look.  Hot glue those pieces on to the end of the arrow.  If you want, tie a cute little bow using bakers twine and boom....felt arrow is done!  


 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Valentine's Hoop Art

I know, how cute are these?!?!  I saw something similar to this on Pinterest and put my own spin on them.  I am so in love with these!  I am totally not taking these down either!  These will stay up all year long! 

Supplies Needed: 

  1. Embroidery hoops
  2. Felt
  3. Fabric
  4. Buttons
  5. Needle
  6. Thread
  7. Scissors


 I didn't provide a template for these for our craft session.  I just laid my samples out and the girls got to work!  First you will need to cut a piece of your fabric and get it nice and tight inside the hoop.  (we used flannel, corduroy and regular fabric as our backgrounds).  Leave the extra material just hang out of the hoop until you are all done with the sewing.



 Next, you need to figure out what you are going to stick on your fabric.  We used felt to cut out clouds and used pre-cut hearts from Benzie Deign's Shop.
 You can choose to pin down  your felt pieces so they don't shift around while you are sewing.
Then using your thread and needle you can start hand stitching your design on.  Make sure you start from underneath so all the knots are on the underside of the hoop hiding the mess!  
 You can add buttons for an extra effect as well!  I wish I would have been able to capture more pictures of the completed hoops.  They were super cute!  Some of the girls cut out words and stitched those on as well.
 After you are all done, cut the excess material of and hang your hoop art on your wall!  I cannot wait to create more of these!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Glitter Rocks

These glitter rocks are so very easy to make but that doesn't take away from how simple and adorable they are!  

Supplies Needed: 

  1. Rocks (Any size will work.  I also bought some flat rocks at a local craft store)
  2. Elmer's glue
  3. Extra Fine Glitter


 Take your glue and put a very thin layer of glue on in whatever shape you want.  Anywhere you put the glue, the glitter will stick to it.  If you use a lot of glue on a rock that isn't flat, the glue may drip.

 Once you have your glue down, sprinkle your glitter on.  I waited to tap off the extra glitter until the glue had dried.  Yes, my friends, it is that easy!  These would make adorable paper weights or special touches to any decor!


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 Heart Mobile

I have my heart mobile hanging in my kitchen window and each time it catches my eye it makes me smile!  Not only is this adorable, it is a great way to teach a simple sewing stitch on the sewing machine! 

Supplies Needed: 

  1. Felt (I purchase all my felt from Benzie Design who makes the best wool felt ever.  They were kind enough to donate some of the felt hearts...that were precut out for the mobile.  You can visit their store HERE.  These were the heart die cuts that come in 3 different sizes.)
  2. Scissors (if cutting your own hearts)
  3. Sewing machine
  4. Stick
  5. Bakers Twine
I'll be honest, I was a little nervous teaching girls how to sew.  I was pleasantly surprised on how quickly they picked it up!  

I showed them how to feed the hearts into the machine right under the presser foot.  My sewing machine is awesome and even lets you sew if there is no material to sew so that gave us the spaced out hearts.  We had a few glitches from our first timers, but nothing we couldn't fix!  

 After they completed their heart strands we tied them onto a branch.  (we left a long enough string at the beginning before we started sewing to give us thread to use to tie onto the branch).  We hung our branch up with bakers twine and some 3M hooks on our kitchen window.  I have fallen in love with this and have an even great plan for something like this for spring!  I cannot wait to order more felt from Benzie Design and get sewing!



I really enjoyed putting together these crafts for this segment.  I can't decide which one I like the best!  It was so much fun to watch mothers and daughters get creative together and craft with each other.  I hope they had as much fun making the crafts as I did watching them all craft!

1 comment:

  1. This place have unique light displays that change color and can be set to create the perfect mood for your celebration. These distinctive features are sure to wow your guests. And venue Houston gets better every instant.

    ReplyDelete