Monday, January 25, 2016

Party, we will... Star Wars, we must.

Let me start off by saying this.  I have NEVER watched a Star Wars movie.  Nope, sure haven't.  All this hype and hoopla over this last movie has had nothing to do with me.  My husband and kids on the other hand are Star Wars fans.  Naturally, Gavin wanted to have a Star Wars party.  Trust me, I tried to change his mind.  How about Barney?  Or Paw Patrol?  Or Legos....Nope...Star Wars it was.  
 We are eyeball high in basketball season here.  We have 4 kids playing all on different teams which makes our weeks a bit crazy.  Gavin's birthday isn't until February but when I went to plan his party, every weekend in February was booked solid with basketball tournaments.  This past weekend was our only open weekend.  Can I throw together a Star Wars party in one week?  I didn't know if we could pull it off....but we certainly did our best to try!

 My dear friend and awesome designer, Nellie, whipped up a Star Wars invite for me.  It was perfection.  I printed them off from Walgreens as a 4x6 photo and boom...done.  Or so I thought.  Then I felt bad just handing out a photo invite that I had nothing to do with creating...that just isn't me.  So off to Pinterest I went.  I found a free printable for these light saber bottoms and off to work we went (by "we" I mean, I forced my nephew to help me make them).  In less than 15 minutes we had 20 paper light sabers made and I was feeling much better! Off to school the invitations and light sabers went...only one week before the party!  (I told you it was last minute planning!)


As soon as we had the theme ironed out, my brain went to work.  Last year around this time I was planning Sadie's 50's diner party and my mom made each of the girls poodle skirts.  I sure did call my mom this time around to make more costumes.  Jedi robes and Princess Leia robes and buns it was!  Thanks, Mom!  The kids LOVED them!  

 I didn't have a lot of time to look around and get a game plan together for decorating so I just started using whatever I could find at our house to decorate!  I had saved this chevron wrapping paper from Griffin's cow party and thought it looked kinda Star Wars-ish.  I had Dan show me how to turn cups into clone troopers (is that right?  Or storm troopers?).  We had, also, found these pool noodle light sabers on Pinterest and we happened to have a box of pool noodles in the basement from a craft session I did!  Yahoo!  I love when that happens.  I cannot take any credit for these amazing light sabers.  Dan and the kids created them while I was working basketball concessions last weekend.  They turned out so awesome and the kids loved them!


Nellie designed me a printable party which was once again awesome.  I emailed the file to the UPS store and had it printed there on cardstock.  (our printer was out of ink).  I wanted to do so much  more decorating for the party, but ran out of time.  (I also had a huge mother/daughter craft session the day after the party that I had to plan for.) It worked out well that Gavin had some star wars ships and toys that we could use for decorations as well!  

 Tank even dressed for the occasion.  He put on his Darth Vader costume...which he was "thrilled" about doing...can't you tell?



 The kids made Tie Fighters out of chocolate cookie things we found at Aldi with frosting and a mini marshmallow.  I have no idea what a tie fighter is...but they seemed to think it was cool! I used an edible marker pen to turn large marshmallows into storm troopers.  These were a bit tedious, but oh so worth it!
Hot dogs into Hoth Dogs....easy peasy.  


 The kids came in and we got them dressed into their robes right away!  I am pretty sure the kids were super excited to get the robes, but more excited to get the light sabers!  Kylo Ren showed up...aka as my husband in a costume!  It was so fun to watch the kids at this party.  It was a bit crazy...but more fun than crazy!




 After I forced the kids to take some pictures outside in the freezing cold, we headed inside for light saber training with Kylo Ren.  He taught them some light saber positions and then he put their skills to the test.

 One by one, the kids got to "take on" Kylo Ren.  No one got hurt, so that was a "win" in my book!

 At the end of the training all the kids attacked Kylo....can you call him Kylo for short?  No clue.
 Next came the food and presents.  We were both on full duty then as blue kool-aid was being spilled everywhere and endless amounts of donuts were being shoved into mouths one after another.  We had to lay low on the pictures so we could actually supervise the children!

This was Gavin's first "real" party and he kept thanking us for the party....so I think we pulled it off!  Was I glad it was only 2 hours?  Why, yes, yes I was!  Giving 15 2nd graders light sabers and a lot of sugar makes for a very fun and wild party!

The force was strong here that day....and fun was had by all!


3 comments:

  1. You amaze me!!! What a fun party theme and perfect for your boys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen a couple of other events at other places, but this was my first time in here. It was amazing! Great venue, it's smaller than those bigger lofty spaces but it is still a fair sized venue. Food was great and I think it's recently renovated - it didn't seem old or anything.

    ReplyDelete