Thursday, December 24, 2015

A Far from perfect Christmas....So far.

It's Christmas Eve....the kids are all sleeping in the living room tonight by the Christmas tree which leaves Dan and I "homeless" for the night.  We usually curl up on the couch together after the kids are in bed and watch some chick flick or something.  Actually, lately I have been hand stitching things and he has been sitting at his desk working...but we are in the same room.  Anyways, I thought now would be a good time to catch up on blogging.  For starters...My mouth is FINALLY feeling better.  Almost 2 weeks later I feel like I am on the mend.  That dry socket thing is NO joke.  Basically, if you get a dry socket, they have to pack your empty tooth hole with a gauze type packing that has cloves oil or something on it.  N.A.S.T.Y.  However, it really helps.  I had one oral surgeon that really packed it in...and I lost it.  Full out breakdown in the chair.  I had just gotten done with my Real Milwaukee segment that morning, ran home and grabbed my daycare kids and headed to the oral surgeon with 4 kids in tow.  Then the dentist shoved this packing in so hard that I couldn't take it.  I think he thought I was a bit cray cray.  Full out sobbing....with 4  kids staring at me thinking "this lady is a nut job and our mom's leave us with her."  Long story short....I am having a little aching here and there still but nothing I can't handle.  I am just praying it's not another tooth going downhill.  With my mouth, it probably is.  
Ok, moving on.  Tonight is Christmas Eve and we attended church together.  The pastor's message was about the "perfect" Christmas.  Meaning in the beginning of December we all have these grand plans to make this year's Christmas the perfect year....and then it never happens.  It got me thinking about how un-perfect (I know that's not a word) our Christmas has been so far.  Let's start by cookie baking.  I wasn't going to do it this year.  I really like to fly solo in the kitchen.  I don't like messes.  Well, baking with 7 kids is a bit messy.  This year I braved it.  7 kids surrounding the mixer all asking to add ingredients and pour and stir and scrape.  
 We did get the batter all mixed and they were actually really great helpers at rolling the cookies into balls.  I am also a bit of a germ freak when it comes to baking so watching 7 kids "help" bake while touching things and doing things they shouldn't do with their fingers and mouths can be a little overwhelming.  Hence we will be the only ones eating the cookies this year.  Who knows what made it into those cookies!
 Christmas cookie baking....far from perfect.  There were tears over the lack of aprons, tears over who didn't get to add the flour and tears because I wouldn't let them eat raw dough.
We did eventually get them done.  Well, almost.  The amazing sugar cookies are baked and have been left undecorated.  Maybe after Christmas we will decorate them....OUTSIDE!!  I mean, for reals...I don't know if I can handle frosting and sprinkles and fingers licking and touching things....but we shall see.  They taste good plain, right? 

 The Friday's at the Farm room has been converted into a jumbo sleepover party this week.  All 7 kids sleeping in the same room with blankets and pillows all over the place!  The fact that they all want to sleep in the same room still makes me think they actually really do like each other.  The best part is....when they wake up in the morning, all the noise is downstairs!!  Yeah for sleeping in!  (well, I have been able to, Dan still has to go to work...poor guy)


 This morning we let the kids open their "sibling" gifts.  Each year they draw names to shop for one of their siblings.  Each year there are tears because someone didn't get who they wanted to shop for.  In the end it always works out and the kids just love doing this.  I can't wait  for the day when they can actually buy their own gifts for their sibling!!   Thanks, Mom, for helping us out with this, this year!


 We spent most of the day at home today.  Dan worked today and then came home and we headed to church.  We came home and had "the best dinner ever" according to the kids.  I even made them all kiddie cocktails.  They thought that was super cool.
 Griffs....oh sweet Griffs.  He is one tired 4 year old.  These late night sleepovers have left him a bit overtired.  A quick cat nap in the car didn't do him any good today either.  Once he got some kiddie cocktail in him he was all good!




 The other night we headed to the Country Springs for our annual Christmas light excursion.  Good thing the windows were rolled up this year....between the fighting for where everyone got to sit and the pouting because children didn't get to sit where they wanted to and the children that were passing gas and making the entire van smell, it was a real good time.  At one point I was positive I would be better off parking the big bus and walking home.  We were able to pull it together by the end, but then our sweet Griffs had a breakdown.  ( I told you these late nights are not good for him!)
 So here you have it.... Our "perfect" family.  Notice his un-matching pajamas as well?  Yup....you just have to learn to let some of the battles go.  In all fairness, he is having horrible growing pains in his legs.  They get really bad at night.  Tonight was one of those nights.
 I just kept taking pictures.  Hoping he would stop.  He didn't.

 From the youngest to the oldest....We have conquered the contacts...FINALLY!  We also started round two of braces....Happy Molly Christmas to you....Sigh...and we thought diapers were expensive.

 Yesterday was a good day.  My mom called and offered to take us to the Milwaukee Ballet's Nutcracker.  I had planned on taking just Abbie to go see it this week but she insisted we all come.  So with Oma's credit card in hand, she took us to see the ballet.  It was amazing as usual.  It was hard to watch because Abbie wasn't in it, but also super exciting knowing that in May she will be dancing on that same huge stage in Alice in Wonderland!  Whoop Whoop!!
 This my friends, is my Christmas gift.  Yes, number 1 on my list was a new shop vac.  Watch out hairballs and dirt....mamma's got a new toy!!!

And last but not least....we made it into a magazine!  Yahoo!!!  I submitted our jumping photo a few months ago through Kaiser reality (that is who we rented our condo from when we booked it out of town to Alabama in the spring...you can read that HERE if you want to!)  Anyways, we didn't get first or second place, but we did receive an honorable mention photo.  I, personally, feel the outcome should have been different, but I am a bit biased!!!  We canNOT wait to go back in the spring.  It simply was one of the best last minute decisions we have ever made for our family!

Well, I am off to the 11:00 Christmas Eve service.  The kids are all sleeping and Dan is reading something (probably a manual to a techy type of thing).  In our world of so many un-perfect things, it is SO good to know that we have a perfect Savior.  He can truly make ALL things new.  I will be remembering that tomorrow as we celebrate HIS birth.  As Lanie said tonight when she prayed, "Thank you God for being God...and letting us get presents."  He gave us the best present ever when He sent His son.  Have a very Merry Christmas!

1 comment: