Monday, November 16, 2015

We purposefully didn't feed them lunch....

 This past weekend has been a weekend of ups and downs.  Highs and lows.  Good and Bad.  This is the deal.  I try to be as real as I can possibly be on this blog of mine.  Are there things I choose not to blog about?  Yes, there are.  I thought I was pretty open and honest with all of you.  I know that we might look like we have it all together.  We don't.  I know it might look like our kids are super awesome and well behaved all the time.  They aren't.  There are struggles and reality issues going on here at the farmstead just like every home.  I was surprised this past weekend when someone said some negative things about my blog and how I blog.  Hurtful things.  I am not trying to get any of you guys to like me by doing this....I honestly just want to share with you the joys and struggles of raising a large family who have way too many chickens and dirty laundry and hair balls all over our house.  (we have 6 girls, a dog, and 3 cats....we have hairballs!)  With that being said.... I wasn't going to share our horrible day yesterday. However, after thinking about it and praying about it, I am gonna give you a piece of 100% Wilke reality.  Brace yourself.  Ok, I am sure by now you all see this adorable picture of the kids above, right?  Everyone is smiling and looking pretty cute, right?  You may be thinking, "wow, they have it all together...and look at the matching pajamas...they really have it all together."  Not. So. Much.  Enter our morning from yesterday.  We got up super early because one kid had to play handbells at the 8:00 church service.  We scrambled to get out of the house.  Kids were crying, parents were yelling, dishes were left dirty as we rushed out.  We got there late but on time enough for her to not be kicked out of the handbell choir.  Some of the kids sat nicely through church...others pouted and moaned and groaned.  Dan had to leave church right after the offering because he had gotten a call about needing to do something for work.  He was supposed to take the kids home while I taught Sunday school...and now they were staying with me.  Kids were pouting and slouching down in the pews with arms crossed.  I gave them my death "look."  Meaning...pull it together and act "normal."  I had stopped at Speedway before church to buy my Sunday School kids some miniature donuts for a treat.  That was a mistake.  You would have thought I was the worst mother ever because I wouldn't open up the donuts for my Sunday School kids and let my kids have them!!  Church ends and we make our way to Sunday School.  Ok, I got this.  All of my kids are going to go into their age appropriate rooms super nicely so I can go teach the love of Jesus to other girls and boys.  Again...not. so. much.  There were full out screams and wails.  I could hear Griffs screaming from the lower level all the way in my classroom upstairs with the door closed.  He did finally calm down and participate.  After Sunday school ended the chaos began.  Kids were interrupting me while talking to fellow parents, kids were whining and complaining about food, kids were being disrespectful and rude, kids were flat out talking back to me.  I. Was. DONE.  I tried to compose myself.  After all, I had just listened to a dear friend speak at my mom's group and was focusing on this : "Let your gentleness be evident to all."  I have been repeating this Bible verse all week.  Be gentle...Let them see your gentleness, Susan.  I wasn't very gentle on that car ride.  Then I went to pick up the oldest from a sleepover and she made us all sit in the van for almost 15 minutes because "she wasn't ready to leave yet."  This is how I handled the situation.  We came home.  I made them all sit on the couch.  (except Griffin...he stomped off to his room and I didn't have the energy to fight with his 3 year old self.)  I firmly explained to the kids that our number one job in life is to share the love of Jesus with others.  Here I was trying to teach Sunday School and mass chaos was forming all around me.  If you know me, you know that my kids are constantly hungry or eating or asking for a snack.  It drives me crazy.  So I took food away from them.  I sent them to their rooms and didn't feed them lunch.  I am sure they are scarred for life now.  Dan came home from his service call.  You better believe he had already received a phone call from me about how bad the morning was.  He went up to their rooms and laid the law down with the kids.  We had a pretty peaceful lunch together as our children were confined to their rooms not eating lunch.  Bad parents?  Maybe.  Tough love?  Maybe.  We have gotten more chill with expecting respect and we were both done with it.  Time to regroup, refocus, and retrain.  We did eventually let them out of their rooms.  We did not  allow them to eat until dinner.  You better believe each kid had two huge servings of spaghetti last night!  I guess maybe it is hard to understand if you aren't living here doing the day to day living....but that is a real glimpse of reality from yesterday.  Every. Ugly. Second of it.
What was really really hard about yesterday was that we had a super great family day on Saturday.  We started off by going to the moving wall with the kids and talking to some veterans from the Vietnam War.  It was eye opening to listen to their stories.  After that, we came home and all 9 of us worked together for hours and hours.  We had our biggest Oak tree fall a few weeks ago and it needed to be cleaned up.  We raked, moved brush, carried logs, and had so much fun doing it together.  The kids were SO excited.  Our oldest even said she was having fun.  At one particular time, Gavin ran up to me and said, "Mommy, I have an idea...let's do this for other families and then they can pay us money to use for groceries."  (I told you all they do is think about food!)  He was sure people would hire our family to cut trees up for them!  His excitement was overflowing.  It was a day I will never forget.  The strength and teamwork that came from our family that day was powerful.  






 Aside from the good and bad from the weekend life still moves on.  I finished my segment last Thursday on DIY hostess gifts and have started working on the crafts for the December 3rd segment of DIY holiday decor.
 I also made this buffalo chicken dip.  I am not a fan of spicy things...but this stuff is addicting!  This is the unhealthy recipe that I did:


  1. 2 cans of cooked shredded chicken (I get my cans at Costco or Sams)
  2. 2 blocks of cream cheese-cut up into chunks
  3. 1 package of dry hidden valley ranch dip
  4. 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese
  5. 1 small bottle of Red Hot's Buffalo Sauce
I put it all in the crock pot on low and stirred it every now and then.  We used tortilla chips but you could use celery or carrots or whatever else you wanted!  


 I apologize if somehow I have portrayed our life to be something different than the ugly reality it is.  At the end of the day, we have a deep love for each other and for our kids.  We just want the best for them, but we are sinners.  That is why I am so very thankful for grace!  I am so thankful that God has blessed each of us with our own "reality."  Isn't it awesome how different we all are?  How different all of our lives our?  But, yet, we all have so much in common, don't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment