Monday, May 25, 2015

Memorial Day :(


Well the first half of our Memorial Day was HORRIBLE.  Like down right bad.  We cleaned from 8 a.m. until 2:30 p.m.  All. Day. Long.  It had been WAY too long since we did a deep clean...and deep clean we did.  All of the bedding got washed today.  Every single sheet, blanket, pillow case cover and on and on.  The washer and dryer ran all day long.  I still have more to do.  I hate washing bedding.  However, all the children make their own beds when their bedding is clean so that is awesome.  If they are too little to make it themselves an older sister has to help.  The older sisters lover that. ;)

About 2:00 I headed into the shower.  At that moment it dawned on me that 14 years ago on Memorial Day, Dan and I were having our gift opening from our wedding.  Look how far we have come in 14 years.  Instead of opening gifts, we are cleaning!!!

After we had cleaned and washed enough we headed to visit my Grandpa's grave.  We haven't been back since his funeral in January and I knew I wanted to take the kids back.  I was bummed because by the time we got there, they had taken down all the huge flags they had lining the cemetery.  I wanted the kids to see that.  I guess we came a little too late in the day.  
 The sun was shining and we stopped to say "hi" to gramps.  The kids were excited to ring the bell located right by Gramps.

 Griffin was the only one not to ring the bell!
 We walked around a little bit and looked at some of the fountains.  A nice man gave each of the kids a flag.  We were kinda disappointed that gramps didn't have anything on his wall plate....so we took care of that as well!

 We found a plastic vase, filled it with some mulch, cracked off the stick of one of our flags and Dan placed the vase up by Gramps.  Ahhh..much better.  He fought for our freedom....he deserved a flag.
 I held it together.  I still miss him dearly.  He was a good good man.  I am sad my kids won't have him around any longer.  When we got home Lanie pulled me aside and said, " I told Grandpa I loved him when we saw him today."  It was so sweet.  I hope she will always remember him.  I hope Gramps plugged his ears from some of the crying that took place from over tired kids as well while we were visiting him.
 After we left the cemetery we headed to the grocery store to get some Memorial Day dinner food and stopped at a park.  I lover this picture...Look at Griffin.  He cracks me up.



 We headed home and at hot dogs, brats, cauliflower, broccoli, watermelon, pickles, chips and a giant cookie.  And that was our Memorial Day.  A little bit of good mixed in with some bad.

I was thinking about all the guys I know that have been a part of the military.  What an awesome sacrifice.  I don't think a million "thank you's" could ever convey how grateful I am for their service.  What an honor to know such great men.

No comments:

Post a Comment