Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Here a chick, there a chick, everywhere a chick chick...








Well today was the big day.  
Late in the afternoon yesterday we got an email from www.mypetchicken.com that our baby chicks had shipped.  They are overnighted so we knew today would be the day.

I called the post office this morning and asked them to call me as soon as our peeping box arrived.  Griffin and I had just come back from our early morning run to Fleet Farm to get a new heat lamp bulb so we got that all hooked up and headed to the post office.  

Now it's a very weird feeling going to the post office to ask for your baby chicks.  They seriously just come in a box.  When we got into the post office we could hear them peeping away.  We weren't the only family expecting chicks today either!  Their mommy hadn't come yet.  

 Griffs and I were too afraid to open the box.  Any book we have read or any chick experienced family we have spoken with all recommended NOT opening the box around kids incase a little chick didn't make it.  Well, I can tell you that there was no way in the world I was looking in that box to see a dead chick.  I would have freaked out.  So I did what any logical mom would do...I headed to my older kids school and made them look in the box!

 I had them called out of their classes and, yes, they opened the box to 8 all living chicks.  Phew.  That could have gone one of two ways.  Yay for all living chicks!
 They were so excited.  I wouldn't let them hold them because I needed the chicks to get to a warmer temperature and let's be real here...they were supposed to be in school, not playing with baby chicks.
 So we took a few quick pictures said our goodbyes and Griffs and I headed home with our peeping box.
 This is our little chick habitat for the next few months.  (well actually less than that I suppose).  I will repeat this again.  We have NO idea what we are doing.  We have a chicken book that we have read and we have sought wise chicken raising council.

 Griffin helped me unload the chicks into their new home.  ( I know this is a bit Griffin picture heavy, but he was the only one home at the time!)  I didn't expect them to be so cute and fluffy.  I guess I wasn't sure what to expect...maybe wet soggy chicks that just hatched or something.  I'll take fluffy cute chicks any day over soggy wet chicks!
 We had to introduce them to their food and water right away.  I had to dunk their beaks in the water to make sure they knew how to drink.  It was amazing.  Within a few minutes, all of the chicks were drinking.  They took a little bit longer to warm up to eating the chick food, but they all got the hang of that in no time as well.
 We checked on the chicks all afternoon.  You know, just to make sure they were still alive!

 The other 6 finally made it home from school.  They hated that I made them stop to take a picture.
 And then the chicks got lots of love.  Everyone picked out their chick.  Molly's chick is Cappuccino. Sadie named her chick Lydia.  Abbie's chick is Ruby.  Kenadie named her chick Peeps.  Gavin's chick is Sarah.  Lanie named her chick Fluffy and Griffin's chick is Stripes.  Dan names "our" chick Nugget.  And there you have it.  The newest additions to our family.








The coop still isn't anywhere near being ready.  We still don't have a grasp on exactly what we are doing.  We are going to learn as we go here.  What I can tell you is that my children are SO excited.  The giggles and screams of happiness are worth way more than the internal panic I am having on the inside.  My yard will NOT be filled with chicken poops.  Dan and I have agreed to just make them a really big chicken run.  That way the poops can stay inside the run and off my grass.

And that is all.  7 kids, 1 dog, 1 goldfish that won't die, 3 cats, 1 gerbil we are hoping got eaten by a cat and still isn't living in the wall somewhere upstairs, and 8 chickens.  What will join our "farm" family next.  Abbie is saving for a pig.  Dan wants a goat.  I think we need a dairy cow.  This 10-12 gallons of milk a week is getting old!

If you are in the area, stop by and meet our chicks!  It's like a free petting zoo here!

No comments:

Post a Comment