Saturday, October 4, 2014

12 years ago...


12 years ago on October 3, 2002, our lives changed forever.  That was the day that Dan and I became parents.  Little did we know that God had a lot more in store for us!  We welcomed Molly Rose to the world at 8:14 pm.  It was such an easy labor.  Really, it was.  I didn't have much pain and didn't push for that long.  Molly was 4 weeks early but was considered full term.  We stayed in the hospital for our 2 days and took our sweet pippy squeak home.  She didn't sleep well that first night at home and we were exhausted!
We battled jaundice with her for that first week.  Just when we thought we were in the clear things got bad real quick.  Molly stopped breathing when she was a week and a half old.  Scariest day of my life. Period.  I was home alone and scared beyond scared.  I had just gotten out of the shower and remember picking her up right away to hold her and touching her nose to my nose.  Her nose was freezing cold.  (which seemed weird because she was sitting in her bouncy seat in the bathroom with me in the hot steam).  Within a few minutes of feeling her nose so cold Molly started coughing which led to her to stop breathing.  Here I was, alone, in a bathrobe, holding my baby that couldn't take a breath.  I called 911 and just after I gave them my address my cell phone cut out.  I remember laying her on the floor...I can still picture the exact spot I had her laying and crying out.  "please, someone help me, my baby isn't breathing."  No one could hear me.  I was the only one home.  I watched her start to turn blue around the mouth.  I watched her mouth start to foam.  

Within a few minutes a police officer arrived.  He took her from me and told me to go get dressed.  After that things were a blur.  I threw on some clothes (a pleasantville t-shirt and a pair of pajama bottoms) and went back to find my baby girl.  They had already put her in the ambulance.  I remember there being conversation between the paramedics and police officers about me driving myself to the hospital.  The paramedics wanted me to drive and the police officer said I wasn't in any "condition" to drive.  I rode in that ambulance and had no idea what was happening to my baby girl.  I couldn't get ahold of Dan and felt helpless.  

I won't go into all the details, but after 4 months of oxygen and test upon test, we never did find out what caused Molly to stop breathing.  It's hard to believe that all happened.  I don't know how we held it together and decided to have 6 more children after that!  Boy, I 'm sure glad God got us through that!  

So here we are 12 years later.  
We started the day off with her birthday gifts.  Because I am too lazy busy most of the time, we never wrap gifts.  Let's face it...it's a waste, right?  Dan and I always put their gifts out for them the night before their birthdays and then when they come down in the morning the gifts are there waiting for them.  Since we usually put the gifts out at 11:00 at night we are too tired to wrap them!  I know...we are cheap. 

Molly got a body pillow, a lego friends set, and a subscription to zoo books.  Nothing fancy.  Nothing over the top.  No phone, no iPad, no iPod....and she was okay with that!  

The night before she asked what I was doing for a birthday treat.  Do they still do that in 6th grade?  Uh huh.  They do.  So naturally we got Dunkin' Donuts.  6th graders and donuts is a win win all the way around!


 I picked Molly up from school early on her birthday to try contacts.  She couldn't do it.  Her blink reflex is too strong.  So we will stay with glasses for another year.  It's hard to watch her struggle to do it because it is so easy for me.We did get her a new pair of glasses.  Ones that won't bend with every little hit they take.  She picked big plastic ones.... I am learning to let her make her own fashion decisions.  Gulp.  Breath.


And here are some flashback pics!  I just pulled a few that caught my eye.  There are so many more, but I can't post 12 years of pictures!  It's funny the memories these trigger.  Some I can remember taking and some I can't.  I just don't know where the time has gone.

















































12 years ago God blessed us with Molly.  I can't wait to see what God has in store for her over the next 12!

Kenadie turns 8 tomorrow and we have 6 12 year olds sleeping over tonight.  I must go get them dinner!


On a separate note....I want to thank each of you that have sent us an encouraging message or prayed for us over the past week.  Things aren't really any better.  We still don't have any heat and it is a bit cold in the house today.  Some great people have borrowed us some space heaters.  If it gets too cold we might have to stay with friends until we can figure it all out.  I am battling lots of mixed emotions and feelings.  I feel very very sad and drained.  I haven't been myself.  I am trying to hold it all together.  I don't think I am doing a good job of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment